Chapter 15. The Demotion Of The Lucky Underwear
Stay in Touch
Who doesn't like to receive emails? Even better when it's comming from your beloved SaltyMatey crew! Get noticed when new stuff is up.
Very early that morning, we take the plane for a second time; heading to Georgia where a boat that Sam found is waiting for us.
– I am just SO excited !!! I say to Sam.
– I know! The boat is just perfect: our own bedroom with a bed not in the shape of a triangle, separate beds for the kids, two bathrooms, wind generator, solar panels, kitchen like we wanted, central cockpit that keeps us dry and the kids safe…
– With white cream cushions on top! Brand new from 2014!!!
– Arrghhh…you and your cushions.– I love cushions, ok!
-The best I find is the new rigging as well as the new engine. Just that worth 75 000 USD$.
– Can’t wait to see all that. I feel it, this is the perfect boat for us.
The next morning when we arrive at the boat, we have a shock. The boat that was so well equipped has been badly maintained in the past 2 years. And what a horrifying view when inside and I see the cushions:
– They are BLACK with dirt, Sam… !!! 🙁 🙁
– Shit… (even him is disappointed!)
After our own quick inspection, we have to take a though decision. The price they ask isn’t realistic at all. Photos were lying, although equipment is there.
– We have to bargain a lower price. There is too much to do up front.
– Yeah…we have to bargain a lot, replies Sam to George suddenly unconfident.
George the broker (not the pig) calls the seller’s broker with a short but very clear message from us:
“You know as much as I do that it’s a real crime to ask for that amount without putting any maintenance for two years. We need 20 000$ less otherwise it doesn’t worth it for us to move on with the inspection as it was planned.”
10 minutes later, we receive a phone call from the other broker with their answer:
“They offer $10,000 less, and only if you don’t renegotiate the price after the survey of the boat.”
Our heart stops beating. We invested in plane tickets to come from Québec. We had payed for an inspector the next day as well as the fees to get the boat out.
– It’s not enough Sam….
– I know, Sam replies (he just finished playing with numbers and budget for the 15th time in the past 8 minutes).
– I am really sorry guys, said George. I really think that if the boat doesn’t fit in your budget, it’s not a boat for you.
Back at our Air BnB room, we have absolutely nothing to say. Sam breaks the ice with a small voice:
– … And to think I had put on my lucky underwear for today.
I laugh. It is funny, and very sad. Because, yes, that boat WAS perfect for us.
Top photo: with few days left with nothing to do, we headed to beautiful Savannah. Did not cheered us up at all.
Darkside, named like this by the sellers (star wars fans) has literally gone to the darkside in the past 2 years despite awesome equipment.